Monday, April 25, 2011

Welcome to Toyland

I'm sure you've felt the same way from time to time. Like the toys are forming an ever-growing army and are poised at the edge of outright war against you. You've bitten back swear words when you step on a strategically placed, inevitably pointy, toy in the middle of the night. You've gathered bags of toys to donate, only to feel that it only made a mere dent in the madness. So I'm sure you won't judge me for what you will read, right?

Don't get me wrong, we have some great toys. I'm not a fan of junk, and things that aren't useful in some theraputic manner are often given away. To make life easier, I've even put together a toy rotation. I can even acknowledge that my kids have a pathetic stash, compared to, well...everyone else I've ever met with kids. But hey, when you have our meager earnings and 550 sq feet to live in, you tend to not acquire much. I can acknowledge all of these things....but...

I still feel like the toys are taking over. I put all the toys in the bin and the books on the shelf and I turn around and BAM! They are all out again, spread on the floor and flung about the room. I'm not even sure they are being played with as much as being thrown about. Drives. Me. Batty.

So yesterday I picked up all the toys and took them out of the living room so that I could rotate the stash. But before bringing in the new toys I decided to vaccuum and clean up a bit more. So I did all that and then I guess I just...forgot to bring out more toys. Almost 24 hours later they still haven't been replaced. So right now my kids have some books, 2 stuffed animals, a puzzle, and whatever they can find in the couch cushions to play with. And all I can think is "Look how nice it looks in here!!!!!!"

Bad Mommy.

And yet....

They'll survive just one more day, right? It just looks so nice....

3 comments:

  1. They will survive... :) I think I have instilled the obsession to keep a clean house into my kids, their rooms pretty much stay picked up.. But I'm on them about it all day... I can't risk myself as clumsy as I am tripping and falling over those toys.. Now as for the back yard, it's a total wreck, toys all over, chewed up by the dog, and some untouched LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they'll survive, helps create a better imaginative play, right? or they could start hunting for them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for my child's contribution to the mess! But I totally know what you're saying. When you step on a Lego at three in the morning running from the kitchen to the bedroom with a sippy cup (or a child), you lose all sense of balance with toys and cleanliness.

    ReplyDelete