Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Public Service Announcement

Poor little sad neglected blog. Hopefully, now that the shock of my new academic life is wearing off, I will post more often.

It is a classmate that inspired me to start posting again. No, not because she was so brilliant or encouraging, but because I need to warn you all. So listen up, normal people!

It is not ever appropriate to ask the mother of a child on the autism spectrum "so, what's your child gifted at?" Got that? Even if that is what pops into your brain the moment they say autism. Even if EVERY child you met on the spectrum happened to be a whiz at music or art or math. Even if you love the movie Rainman. Not ok.

Why? Because I had no good way to answer that. Because for an instant, I wanted to burst into tears. Because it is as ridiculous of a stereotype as "autistic children don't show affection". Yes, maybe some autistic children can play the piano by ear by her age, or read perfectly. She can't, but I'm not losing any sleep over it. It's not as though I need her to be gifted in some area so as to make up for her delays in other areas. And by asking me that question, this lady put me in the really awkward position of having to say that there is nothing especially grand about my child. I am looking for moments to brag on my child for saying the word "strawberry", and instead I get handed the opportunity to stutter "Ummm...well, she likes music. And letters."

Now, if I'd been a bit more quick witted, here are all the things I could have said that Diva Girl is gifted at:
-bear hugs
-tantrum throwing
-tutu twirling
-dazzling people with her smiles
-eating large amounts of pasta
-nose picking
-lining things up
-picking out fun outfits
-making mommy laugh
-keeping people guessing
-dare-deviling
-high pitched screams
-interpretive dance
-cuteness

I think that is plenty gifted.
Just don't ask though. Because if you wouldn't ask the question of a person with typical children, you probably shouldn't ask me either.

No comments:

Post a Comment